Virginia Basketball Association Rules
- Games will consist of 4 – 12 minute halves. Play will be running time with the exception of the final 2 minutes if each half. During this time play will stop on all whistles.
- A 6 minute overtime will be played in the event of a tie at the end of regulation.
Playing Time Rules:
- Coaches are in-charge of playing time for all players.
- No one player may play the entire game unless only 5 players present.
*Exceptions: Player injury or player absence.
- Each coach will be allowed a total of 4 timeouts per half (2-30 / 2-Full). In the event of overtime; coaches will receive 2 additional timeouts (30).
Defense & Pressing Rules:
- Only man to man defense will be allowed.
- No double teaming outside of the 3 point arc.
- Full court man to man defense will be allowed in the last 7 minutes of each quarter. Full court pressing will not be allowed if a team is up by 10 or more and will result in a technical foul.
- 1 and 1 will be shot at 10th team foul per quarter. 2 shots at 12th team foul per/half
- All teams in each division will make the playoffs.
- Win / Loss Record will determine playoff positioning.
(Head to head record will be the deciding factor in the event of a tie)
- A team must have at least 6 players at the start of the game or team must forfeit.
- All games will start on time.
- Any player who receives two technical fouls will not be allowed to play the rest of the game.
*If a player receives 3 technical fouls they will be served with a 3 game suspension.
- Players must wear their team uniform. If a player does not have their game uniform, they will not be allowed to play.
Basketball Tournament Rules and Regulations
Each coach is to inform their players of the rules and regulations of the tournament
Each team must furnish someone to keep the scorebook or run the clock.
Good sportsmanship from coaches, players, parents, and fans is expected.
Tournament will begin at 8:00 a.m. All teams must check in thirty (30) minutes
prior to start of their scheduled game.
Admission is $5.00 for adults, $1.00 for children (excluding coaches and players),
and children under 5 will be admitted free.
A Team Waiver and Liability Form must be filled out completely for each team.
Each participating team must have an coach on the bench.
Tournament will be pool play with single elimination in the winning bracket.
Teams will be drawn at random for the first pool.
After first (1st) pool of play, times will be approximate thereafter.
Basketball shoes must be worn. No street shoes.
Teams will have five (5) minutes to warm-up before each game.
Teams must furnish warm up balls, towels, and individual water battles for their team.
games will consist of two (2) twenty (20) minute halves with three
(3) two (2) minute timeouts per half. The clock will run continuously except for:
Timeouts, injuries, and free throws.
Substitutes must report to the scorer's table to enter the game, and then wait for the official to signal to enter.
There will be 5 (five) minutes between the halves of each game.
In bound balls will be passed in timely matter. A five (5) second rule will apply.
In case of a jump ball, alternate possession rules apply.
Made free throws will be counted as 1 point.
Technical fouls may also be awarded in the case of unsportsmanlike conduct towards
another player or an official. Technical fouls may also be awarded in the case of
unsportsmanlike behavior of the parents, guardians, and fans of the opposing team.
Overtime will consist of five (5) minute periods until the game is decided.
Guidelines for Spectators:
The Rich City League Spectator Pledge
Positive comments to the coaches, referees, umpires, players and or the director are always welcome. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront officials at the games. Negative or inappropriate comments such a booing and taunting, or refusing to shake hands, or profane language or gestures will not be tolerated. The emphasis at Rich City League games is not on winning, but rather on creating an environment in which each player will have fun and will grow & develop his/her abilities in each sport as he/she may desire. Rich City League wishes each sporting event to be an encouragement towards physical fitness, improvement for human relationships and sportsmanship, and equal participation. I will demand a sports environment that is free from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco and the use of them discouraged at all sports events.
I acknowledge that if my behavior is not encouraging or appropriate, I may be asked to leave the field or court. Repeat occurrences could lead to permanent dismissals.
Any suggestions, comments, or complaints can be brought to the attention of a Rich City League board member, the RCL administrator, or RCL staff.
The RCL board and, or, administrator reserve the right to alter rules, regulations, and bracket structure as needed.